Our History

O God, Our Help In Ages Past

 

According to known records the Chimney Rock Baptist Church was organized July 7, 1892 and named Whiteside Valley Baptist Church. The names of the charter members nor the number that constitute that charter have survived.

 

Rev. Z.T. Whiteside was elected as the first pastor. Rev. Whiteside conducted worship services in a log home located on his property. He served the church for six years; and the last months of his pastorate, a new frame structure was completed. It was the building that served the congregation through the early years of the twentieth century and also this structure of which photos survive.

 

The church grew and was a thriving body of believers in the community, when, in 1925, a major event occurred that affected both the church and the community. Plans were announced to build the Lake Lure Dam across the Broad River. The new lake was soon to take the home of the Whiteside Valley Baptist Church. In May 1926, the church building and property, including the graveyard, were sold to the Carolina Mountain Power Company. The current property was purchased, cemetery relocated and the present brick building erected through proceeds from that transaction. On August 29, 1926, the new Chimney Rock Baptist Church was consecrated with Rev. E.P. White as pastor.

How Firm A Foundation

“…through the word of God which lives and abides forever
1 Peter 1:23

Chimney Rock Baptist Church is the result of the love and endurance of thousands of believers over the past several generations.

At Chimney Rock you will find a Christ-centered, Bible-oriented Southern Baptist Church. We are an old established church with a distinguished history. Yet, we have a progressive outlook and a creative approach to ministry. We depend on God’s provision through the leadership of the Holy Spirit to magnify the one and only Savior, Jesus Christ, and to meet the needs of people through worship, Bible study, fellowship and recreation. What began as a meeting place in a log home in 1892 and renamed in 1926 has grown to become a ministry that not only serves the towns of Lake Lure and Chimney Rock Village, but reaches to the far ends of the earth.

We are a people of several social, economic, educational and geographical backgrounds. Join us as we step forward as one body looking to the future with an assurance that the Lord will continue to bless our church spiritually and prosperously.